Covid-19 Relief Fund
April 16, 2020
One of the most challenging aspects of the current COVID-19 pandemic has been the disproportionate financial hardship it has brought about for many among us.
Some people have lost a significant portion if not all of their income, while others have experienced little to no change. Some businesses have experienced decreased activity, with many losing their ability to offer services altogether, while others are overloaded with work. Additionally, those who were vulnerable before COVID-19 have been pushed further to the margins as public services close and safety items, like hand sanitizer and wipes, are now harder to come by.
At All Saints, we have been trying to do our part to respond to this crisis in strategic ways through our Saturday Social Outreach Ministries, for example:
- giving out Hot Meals To-Go starting at 11:00am;
- handing out personal items (toiletries, toilet paper, masks, and even hand sanitizer!) from 11am to 1pm; and
- offering hot showers and laundry services from Noon to 2:00pm through the Harbor of Hope vans set up in our parking lot.
And yet, significant needs remain. And many people from All Saints and the wider community have reached out about how they can help. Here are some additional ways in which you can contribute during this trying time:
1) Help us by donating personal items like hotel/travel-sized toiletries, hand sanitizer, face masks (sewn or purchased), men’s socks, toilet paper, or wipes. You can email [email protected] to arrange a no-contact drop off.
2) Help us raise about $250/month for the additional water costs of having the laundry and showers, and another $225/month for a temporary restroom facility during this period of "Stay Home, Stay Safe." The former expense is one that we knew about before COVID-19, when we decided to bring in the Harbor of Hope vans, but the latter expense is new. With many public facilities no longer open, we’ve learned that having a restroom is a significant need, especially for those who come and use services on Saturdays. In coming months we are hoping that the City of Portland will put one of their city restrooms on-site for us, but in the meantime, the need is urgent enough that it feels like we need to move forward. If you would like to make a donation, go to allsaintspdx.org/donate and designate that it’s for the Laundry/Showers program in the comments, or mail a check to 4033 SE Woodstock Blvd., Portland, OR, 97202, with “Laundry/Showers” in the memo.
3) Help us support families and individuals who have lost income during this time. We have set up a COVID-19 relief fund for this purpose. If you would like to make a donation, go to allsaintspdx.org/donate and note that it’s for the COVID-19 Relief Program, or mail a check to 4033 SE Woodstock Blvd., Portland, OR, 97202, noting that in the memo. As stimulus checks come in, and if your income has been relatively unaffected, you might consider giving a portion of it to help those who’ve been hit hardest.
4) Help us get the word out, both to people who are in need and to people who might have something to give. Share with friends, family, and any other channels you can think of.
5) Help us continue to lift one another up in prayer and support. A word of thank you or encouragement during these times –– to our church family, our neighbors, our frontline workers, and our leaders –– goes a long way.
Thank you for any way that you can help, and also for the things you are already doing that are making a huge difference. And thank you to our Social Justice & Advocacy Committee and Hot Meals volunteers and leaders who have stepped up their own efforts in some truly beautiful ways.
The Rev. Andria Skornik